Back in Taiji Again
By Leah Lemieux
Save Japan Dolphins
Earth Island Institute
Oct 17th 2011: Another day in Taiji, where despite good weather, the dolphin hunters returned back to port empty handed.
With that worry out of the way, attention turned to monitoring some of the many cetaceans held captive around Taiji, from the ten false killer whales (or pseudorcas) recently captured and held in the harbor pens, to those many unfortunates languishing at the Taiji Whale Museum and Dolphin Resorts.
The connection between the killing, capturing, buying, selling and trade in dolphins and whales is nowhere more obvious than in Taiji. However, this deadly connection is intentionally hidden from the many Japanese tourists visiting these parts, eagerly paying to watch dolphin shows and to pet, kiss and swim with captive cetaceans – all of whom have endured the trauma of chase, capture and the tragic slaughter of their families and communities.
It is frustrating that the authorities keep us behind barriers where we cannot even try to communicate with these unsuspecting Japanese tourists to attempt to warn them about the system of killing and capture they support by buying tickets to these marine attractions--money that goes directly into the pockets of the men here who cruelly and intentionally harm dolphins.
How ironic that it is the lure of the dolphins' beauty and grace that condemns them to death and servitude....
But where there's a will, there's a way....so stay tuned!
Photo by Leah Lemieux.
Quick Ways to Help
* Sign the petition HERE to tell world leaders to Stop the Japan Dolphin Slaughter.
* Block the sale of dolphins from the Solomon Islands to China. Send an e-mail to Solomon Islands Prime Minister Danny Philip email@example.com
*Click Here to Join the Ric O'Barry Dolphin Project Facebook Page.
- New German Documentary on Captivity
- Study Confirms Taiji Kills Are Inhumane
- Help End the Cruel Captures of Dolphins!
- Happy Birthday Dolphin Project!
- Pat Derby: Lions and Tigers and Elephants
- Rule To Resolve WTO Dolphin Decision
- Thanks to You, Ric Won!
- Hours Left! Have You Voted for Ric?
- Taiji Slaughter Season Ends in Blood
- Japan Protest Against “Research” Whaling