Currents of Change Stirring
By Leah Lemieux
Save Japan Dolphins
Earth Island Institute
After another excruciating patch of dolphin slaughters here in Taiji, Tia and I have enjoyed several days now where the waters of the Cove have remained the beautiful aqua BLUE color they were meant to be. And today a rousing wind keeps all the banger boats in harbor.
My weeks here have assured me that things ARE changing for the better, though of course never fast enough for those of us who so love the dolphins. But the truth is the situation has evolved further than I could ever have hoped when I was here for the greater part of the month of January only a year ago.
Though there are no bells and whistles, the fact remains that demand for dolphin meat is down and that has meant less killing. This complex situation remains an extremely delicate issue here in Taiji, one that must continue to be treated with care, foresight and cooperation — things that we at Save Japan Dolphins value most highly in our daily work here.
There are no easy or over-night solutions, but we remain committed to assisting the necessary changes and transitions that need to come from WITHIN Japan at the behest of her citizens to help the dolphins of Taiji. And we know that ultimately, positive changes for the dolphins will inevitably come to enrich the human community here as well. Onward and Upward!
Photography by Leah Lemieux www.RekindlingTheWaters.com.
- UPDATE Orca Freedom Concert & Auction & T-shirts
- Interim Study for Orca Bill AB 2140
- We Remember Angel
- Freeing Orcas in California AB 2140
- Stunning Victory in UN Court for Whales
- WAZA Agrees on Need for Action for Dolphins
- Former Hunter Speaks Out Against Dolphin Hunting
- WAZA Should Dump Japanese Affiliate JAZA
- Ex-dolphin Hunter Says Slaughter is Not Tradition
- The Lonely Life of Tilikum