Hong Kong Airlines Grounds Plan to Ship Kidnapped Dolphins
Airline chooses basic decency over bottom-line profits.
By Salvatore Cardoni
(NOTE: Our friend Sal Cardoni of Take Part, which has been a big supporter of our efforts to stop the slaughter of dolphins in Taiji, Japan, reports on a huge win for dolphin lovers. Congratulations to all the grassroots groups and individuals that worked to turn Hong Kong Airlines around, especially the Save Misty the Dolphin Facebook group. I will be in Hong Kong in a couple of weeks screening The Cove movie and talking to the public and media about dolphins in captivity, as Hong Kong is a major entry port to China for captive dolphins from Taiji and the Solomon Islands. For the moment, take the time to thank Hong Kong Airlines. – Ric O’Barry)
Under pressure from activists, Hong Kong Airlines has agreed to stop the transfer of live dolphins on its cargo planes, according to a company statement released today.
The about face comes just six days after the social media campaign Save Misty the Dolphin launched an online petition, “Stop Profiting from the Misery of the Taiji Dolphins,” which obtained more than 6,400 signatures.
“It’s certainly a nice message to the world in terms of Hong Kong Airlines dropping their role in the blood dolphin captivity industry,” says Mark Palmer, in an exclusive interview with TakePart. He is the Associate Director of Earth Island Institute’s International Marine Mammal Project.
To send a thank you note to Hong Kong Airlines for doing the right thing:
Corporate Communications Manager
Hong Kong Airlines
20 Tat Tung Road
Tung Chung, Lantau, Hong Kong
Here is a copy of the statement by Hong Kong Airlines:
Photo of Taiji Dolphin being trained by Leah Lemieux www.RekindlingTheWaters.com.
Quick Ways to Help
* Sign the petition HERE to tell world leaders to Stop the Japan Dolphin Slaughter.
* Block the sale of dolphins from the Solomon Islands to China. Send an e-mail to Solomon Islands Prime Minister Danny Philip firstname.lastname@example.org
*Click Here to Join the Ric O'Barry Dolphin Project Facebook Page.
- UPDATE Orca Freedom Concert & Auction & T-shirts
- Interim Study for Orca Bill AB 2140
- We Remember Angel
- Freeing Orcas in California AB 2140
- Stunning Victory in UN Court for Whales
- WAZA Agrees on Need for Action for Dolphins
- Former Hunter Speaks Out Against Dolphin Hunting
- WAZA Should Dump Japanese Affiliate JAZA
- Ex-dolphin Hunter Says Slaughter is Not Tradition
- The Lonely Life of Tilikum