Release of Updated “Behind the Dolphin Smile”
By Mark J. Palmer
International Marine Mammal Project
Earth Island Institute
Ric O’Barry’s classic book (with co-author Keith Coulbourn) of his experiences with Flipper and his change of heart to protect dolphins from captivity, Behind the Dolphin Smile, is back in print again. This new edition features a new Foreward by author Susan Casey and an updated Preface about The Cove documentary.
Behind the Dolphin Smile is an entertaining tale of how Ric got his start in training dolphins and orcas, his experiences in Hollywood as trainer for the Flipper television series and shark wrangler for Thunderball, and his environmental awakening that led to a career of advocating for wild dolphins and rehabilitating many captive dolphins to return them to the ocean where they belong.
Susan Casey is the bestselling author of The Wave and The Devil’s Teeth as well as editor of O Magazine. Having worked with Ric, her Foreward paints a fascinating portrait of the world’s leading dolphin activist.
Ric has also supplied a new Preface to this edition, discussing the efforts to protect dolphins in Japan and the epic Oscar-winning Cove documentary that has revealed to the world the dangers to dolphins from the captive industry and the Japanese Fisheries Agency.
Kirkus called Behind the Dolphin Smile: “An engaging memoir… a refreshing down-to-earth look at men (and) dolphins.” People Magazine noted: “Flipper’s ex-trainer wants his favorite mammals to swim with the fishes.” “To call this book riveting is an understatement,” said Australia Times. “It is absolutely fascinating.”
The new edition is in paperback, published by Earth Aware Editions of San Rafael, CA. It is available in bookstores and online, or you can order it direct from our friends at EcoJoia:
A portion of the profits will be used for Ric’s Save Japan Dolphins Campaign and Dolphin Project.
- “The Cove” Movie Trailer
- Blood Dolphin$ - Animal Planet Introduction Trailer
- Blood Dolphin$—Exposing a Dolphin Dealer
- DOLPHIN - My Friend - PSA
- MERCURY in Dolphin Meat - Clip from “The Cove”
- Ric O’Barry and Ben Stiller on Larry King Live
- Ric O’Barry boycotts meeting with Taiji mayor
- The COVE CAPTIVITY IS CRUEL #1
- THe COVE Captivity #2
- New German Documentary on Captivity
- Study Confirms Taiji Kills Are Inhumane
- Help End the Cruel Captures of Dolphins!
- Happy Birthday Dolphin Project!
- Pat Derby: Lions and Tigers and Elephants
- Rule To Resolve WTO Dolphin Decision
- Thanks to You, Ric Won!
- Hours Left! Have You Voted for Ric?
- Taiji Slaughter Season Ends in Blood
- Japan Protest Against “Research” Whaling