Behind the Dolphin Smile
New Updated Edition of Ric's Book "Behind the Dolphin Smile"
Behind the Dolphin Smile
Behind the Dolphin Smile, Ric O’Barry’s classic book (with co-author Keith Coulbourn) of his experiences with Flipper and his change of heart to protect dolphins from captivity, is back in print again. The new material in this edition includes a foreword by author Susan Casey and a preface about Ric’s campaign and his role in the Academy Award-winning film, The Cove.
Behind the Dolphin Smile is an entertaining tale of how Ric got his start in training dolphins and orcas, his experiences in Hollywood as a trainer for the Flipper television series and as an underwater stuntman and shark wrangler for Thunderball, and his environmental awakening that led to a career of advocating for wild dolphins and rehabilitating many captive dolphins to return them to the ocean where they belong.
Ric O’Barry is now the most famous dolphin activist in the world.
Susan Casey is the bestselling author of The Wave and The Devil’s Teeth, as well as editor-in-chief of O, the Oprah Magazine. Having worked with Ric, her foreword paints a fascinating portrait of the world’s leading dolphin activist.
Ric has also supplied a new preface to this edition, discussing the efforts to protect dolphins in Japan and the epic Oscar-winning documentary The Cove that has revealed to the world the dangers to dolphins from the captive industry and the Japanese Fisheries Agency.
Kirkus called Behind the Dolphin Smile “an engaging memoir… a refreshing down-to-earth look at men (and) dolphins.”
People Magazine noted, “Flipper’s ex-trainer wants his favorite mammals to swim with the fishes.”
“To call this book riveting is an understatement,” said Australia Times. “It is absolutely fascinating.”
The new edition is in paperback, published by Earth Aware Editions. It is available in bookstores and online, or you can order it direct from ECOJOIA.
Behind the Dolphin Smile is also available as a hard cpoy:
Also available to order at your local bookstore.
You can also get your copy as an Ebook:
A portion of the profits will be used for Ric’s Save Japan Dolphins Campaign and Dolphin Project.
- Volunteer to Help
- Orcas and Dolphins Do Not Belong in Captivity!
- Tell Zoos and Aquariums To Stop Aiding the Dolphin Killing
- Sign the Petition and Letter to World Leaders to End the Slaughter
- Support Us on the Frontlines in Japan
- Tell A Friend About Our Campaign
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Releasing Captive Dolphins
- What are the Alternatives?
- Behind the Dolphin Smile
- DANGER: Dolphin Meat is Poisoned by Mercury
- To Free a Dolphin: A Step-by-Step Guide to Grassroots Dolphin Activism
Quick Ways to Help
* Sign the petition HERE to tell world leaders to Stop the Japan Dolphin Slaughter.
* Block the sale of dolphins from the Solomon Islands to China. Send an e-mail to Solomon Islands Prime Minister Danny Philip email@example.com
*Click Here to Join the Ric O'Barry Dolphin Project Facebook Page.